Saturday, October 17, 2009

Recycling Fun -SSS26

Hello all! What a crazy week! On Thursday we got the dreaded letter home from school about lice in the classroom. I went a little nuts...ha ha. Even though my kids were cleared, I still decided to take some preventive measures. I cleaned all blankets and sheets, washed coats, and then scrubbed my children and loaded them up with hairspray. Since apparently the lice don't like hairspray. On Friday when they got home, I gave them both a once over the make sure they didn't catch anything at school that day. Of course on Friday I also sent them to school looking like ballerinas with buns in their hair...lol. Such a mess! Well they are both fine, but I am still going to "armor" them up for school on Monday too. Now that I have you itching your head...I have a card I made for the Sweet Stop Sketch Blog. This week there is a twist to the sketch, and what a fun one this was. Korin provided us with another great sketch, but you had to use recycled stuff on your card. After checking out all the design teams great samples, I came up with a plan, and here is the final results.I used the penguin from the Sweet 'n Sassy set "Waddle I Do?". I stamped him on white CS and cut it out in a circle. Here is where I started using the recycled stuff. My daughter's school just finished the wrapping paper sale, as some of you may know, there is usually some "samples" of the papers in the back of the catalog. So I dug the catalog out of the recycling papers, and decided to use those. Glad I caught it before we went and did our running around this morning, because we took all the paper to the recycling dumpster today! First I took one piece and stamped on it with staz-on so I could paper piece the scarf. Here is a closer look. Next I used another recycled piece of wrapping paper to layer the penguin onto. The blue snowflakes in the upper left, I stamped on wrapping paper and embossed in white. I created a background piece using the same snowflake stamp (which is from one of the PWP sets from The Angel Company swirly seasons), and embossed those in glitter white embossing powder. The sentiments are actually one stamp that I used a marker to color in just the part I wanted so I could separate the sentiment onto the 2 separate pieces of CS. The middle strip of paper is also another piece of recycled wrapping paper.

The whole recycling idea was a lot of fun. Make sure you check out with the Sugar Babies on the Sweet Stop Blog used to create their cards! Some VERY cool ideas! Oh, and since this is a sketch with a twist week, it also means there is a contest. One participant will be chosen to win some digi stamps from Sweet 'n Sassy. Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you have a fantastic weekend.


Jessica

2 comments:

Barb g (WV) said...

Absolutely perfect! Your idea to recycle the paper worked so well for your card and I bet you might now re-think tossing those pretty papers/magazines into the bin...I know I am now going through my mags and tearing out pages I think I might be able to 'recycle' into my craftroom! Great to have you back with the Sweet Stop Challenges...we love having you join us!
Barbg(WV)

Janette said...

very cute Jess, love the wrapping paper!